So, after a while of doing a lot of grinding, cutting and welding with metal, it was time to break out the screwdriver and the mitre saw and do some woodwork. After a good start through doing boat thursdays work on the galley, which i started on here, and which we continued here, here and here, had ground to a halt, partly because of being busy with work and other jobs, and partly through lack of funds to get the materials. Eventually we managed to buy a whole load of wood
and set to work on the galley.
First up was to finish facing the walls with ply, so we cut the sheets to size
and filled the remaining gaps that we hadn't had the materials to finish off
and sanding the joins.
Then, with the help of James' Kreg Pocket Hole Jig
I rebuilt the framework for the plan chest shelves, making them stronger and more solidly built than the original temporary ones
and with a split bottom section
to accommodate a fridge for drinks.
I primed the walls and shelf frames
and then turned my attention to the ceiling, which was panelled but in a fairly hap[hazard way, with some of the panels missing and all painted in some kind of super thick, nasty paint that would be a nightmare to get off. We decided that, at least for the next few years, it would be much easier and nicer to just put a nice smooth plywood ceiling over the whole lot.
I cut the shape out of a 3mm ply sheet on the roof,
and then had to cut it in half to get it down the stairs and into the back cabin
before getting one half
and then the other, fixed up
and painted, along with the walls and other woodwork, before putting the shelves into the shelf frames.
Finally, it was time to lay the floor, surely this would be a quick, easy task with such a small space right? I got most of the floor down in about an hour,
but i knew that eventually i'd have to deal with the Great Lurking Problem, the old sink outlet pipe which was still sticking up through the floor
and which led down to an outlet in the engine room, under the waterline.
The pipe was connected to the valve with an old, slowly perishing rubber joint, and although their was a tap that presumably closed the valve to the outside i didn't fancy trusting it as the only thing between us and water pouring into the engine room if we removed the pipe. We needed to seal off the hole from the outside.
At low tide we went down onto the shore and i ground down the area around the hole
while Lorna set up her welding gear
and welded a small plate over the hole.
There was just time to paint over it with a nice thick coat of bitumen and let it dry a little before the tide came in
and finally we could take out the pipe that was sticking up through the galley floor
cover the hole with underlay
and finish the floor.
Bit of a detour just to get a floor down, but another job ticked off the list that was great to finally get around to doing, and a weight off my mind that we're unlikely to have hundreds of gallons of Thames water pouring into the engine room anytime soon!
With the room itself essentially finished it just remained to rebuild the bookshelves that we had temporarily made when we first stripped out the room. We sanded down the scaffolding planks
and screwed everything together to make a bookcase.
All that remained was to fill all the shelves
and, apart from some proper hardwood frames around the windows and skylight, which are definitely a 'second tier' project, the galley was finished!