Sunday, 10 May 2009

A man's home is his fo'c'sle

The giant pile of wood left over from the deskstruction highlighted a growing problem, which the spring clean had only temporarily fixed. There was too much stuff, tools and wood, that needed storing in the fo'c'sle, and not enough space to store it.

The fo'c'sle is a pretty good space

but like with the desk in the office, three quarters of the floor space is taken up with 12 big water tanks, and the piping that connects them is relatively delicate and so limits the amount of stuff that can be put on top of them.

There is some shelving, but not enough, and not enough protection for the pipes.

It was clear that everything would have to come out.

Once the space was cleared i could get in there

and start hashing together some new shelves and a wood bin, just roughly out of scrap wood,

until i had created a usable space where everything could be stored and, more importantly, everything could be accessed with the minimum of fuss. As i love packing and using every available inch of space this was a bit of a labour of love, but i was glad when it was finished and everything was back inside. It should now make doing jobs easier, as it'll be easier to access what we need.

Eventually we have plans to remove all the round tanks and have a couple of big square ones made, which will free up huge amounts of space in there, even to the extant that it could be used as a kind of workshop. That's a way off yet but for now it'll do handsomely...


While Lorna was busily sanding shelves, and taking advantage of a quiet period of work, i set to on a project i've wanted to do for ages, sorting out the office (which is in the very back of the boat, the back part of the captain's cabin where the captain and his family would have slept) which isn't set up in a very ergonomic way and which gets REALLY cold in the winter.

First of all i had to decamp to the main lounge area of the captain's cabin and set up a temporary office

and then i could get stuck into the fun bit, the destruction (deskstruction) of the desks.

The desk, shown in the first picture, also extended round to the left and the same on the other side of the office, forming a giant U shape that filled 3 walls and three quarters of the floor space. The sloping floor that covered the point at which the hull rises up and curves round at the back was also pretty inefficient, rising high above the hull and again taking up more floor space than was necessary. It WAS packed with rockwool, which i removed before i remembered to start taking photos, but it also had lots of gaps through which the super cold air from under the floor (which is just an uninsulated space through which runs the prop shaft and exhaust pipe) would whistle around my feet while i was working in the winter.

We couldn't resist taking off the vertical wall sections, revealing both the size and beautiful shape of the hull as it sweeps up at the back,

and also the steering chains, which run inside the walls all the way from the engine room, where they are connected to nthe wheel in the wheelhouse.

With a giant pile of wood on the roof from the deskstruction (the previous owners didn't build very elegantly but they sure built sturdily),

all that remained was to put it all back together again...

shelf help: origins

I reallised that, talking about the shelves in the corridor, i hadn't actually mentioned how we arrived at a point where we COULD put shelves up, as the last time we saw the corridor it looked like this.

For the last couple of months the corridor has basically been a storage area for big sheets of ply (new, awaiting being used) or mdf (old, awaiting being thrown away). To make it more homey and usable we needed to a) cover up the rockwool filled ribs and b) install shelves, which would, as discussed int he previous post, also clear space in our bedroom.

We managed to clear almost all the big sheets of wood out of the corridor, but to use, and therefore get rid of, the last of the ply we needed to get it up, at least roughly, on the sloping section of the wall, which would also cover up that ugly rockwool. To do this we needed to screw in battens

and then cut to size and temporarily fix up the ply, until we could make all the inset boxes that will be added in, like in the middle bedroom.

That done, we put together uprights for the shelves to attach to, which would be screwed to the uprights of the frame already in the wall

which also hold in place wall panels of ply, which form the backs of the alcoves.

Then, it just remained to put the shelves in, which, due to the magic of time travel, we have already covered.