Thursday, 7 May 2009

shelf help

With bedroom number 2 out of the way, we turned our attention to our own room, and the fact that it was bursting at the seams with all the crap that had been moved out of the other rooms when we renovated them and then let them out. It was time to get round to finally making shelves in the corridor to hold al our CDs, DVDs and books, and various other 'stuff' that was in our way.

We got hold of some old scaffolding planks

and planed

and sanded

them into beautiful , silvery, smooth shelves of reclaimed timber.

Then cut them to the exact length and mounted them in the alcoves we'd already made in the corridor.

Loaded up with books they look great, we just need to make more until we've filled all the spaces with shelves.

duck season, wabbit season

Just to prove it's not all angle grinding and sanding all the time. Here's a swarm of ducklings and their mum who've been hanging around the mooring.

Fair to middling

As usual, we're a couple of weeks late in actually blogging about it, but we've finished the middle bedroom!

As usual, all the final little touches took ages. We had finished the inset box shelves in the wall

but needed to make the cupboard doors and the insides of the cupboards.

The cupboard doors were made, on the basis that we had loads of ply and didn't want to spend loads of money, out of plywood, gluing larger panels to the pieces we had cut out of the front of the cupboard, so that those pieces would slot into place and the larger pieces would form the visible 'door'.

We then added beading around the edges to finish it

painted the doors, and popped them onto hinges. bingo! (you'll have to imagine the paint, as these shots were taken before that stage. They look the same, but whiter...)

With the doors ready, and so the cupboards ready to actually function as cupboards i added a framework inside them

and put shelves on it,

along with catches so that the doors didn't all swing open when we sit on the bottom and tilt and low tide.

Then it was just a case of touching up the paintwork

adding some beading along the edges of a couple of bits of wall

and welding another lip where the wall meets the edge of the window (to stop drips)

and it was done!

Here;s a reminder of how it looked before