Thursday, 7 May 2009

Fair to middling

As usual, we're a couple of weeks late in actually blogging about it, but we've finished the middle bedroom!

As usual, all the final little touches took ages. We had finished the inset box shelves in the wall

but needed to make the cupboard doors and the insides of the cupboards.

The cupboard doors were made, on the basis that we had loads of ply and didn't want to spend loads of money, out of plywood, gluing larger panels to the pieces we had cut out of the front of the cupboard, so that those pieces would slot into place and the larger pieces would form the visible 'door'.

We then added beading around the edges to finish it

painted the doors, and popped them onto hinges. bingo! (you'll have to imagine the paint, as these shots were taken before that stage. They look the same, but whiter...)

With the doors ready, and so the cupboards ready to actually function as cupboards i added a framework inside them

and put shelves on it,

along with catches so that the doors didn't all swing open when we sit on the bottom and tilt and low tide.

Then it was just a case of touching up the paintwork

adding some beading along the edges of a couple of bits of wall

and welding another lip where the wall meets the edge of the window (to stop drips)

and it was done!

Here;s a reminder of how it looked before

No comments: