Friday, 26 September 2008

slapping it on

One of the things that Lorna has been doing to relax after all the wanton destruction of ripping the roof apart and messing around with fibreglass is to keep gradually working on the anchor winch. The other day she painted the rims of the big handles black, which looks great.

While she had the black hammerite out she painted the front bollards too, as bitumen paint just rubs off stright away.

I've been doing a bit of painting too. One of the things we really wanted to do before we moved was to get the mast/crane mended and up. Unfortunately, due to the welder being on holiday until just after we move, that isn't going to happen, but i've made a start by beginning to prepare the big horizontal spar which had been languishing down the side of the roof and which was in dire need of some tlc.

This was a great chance for me to have a good go with my new favourite toy, the grinding disc on the nagle grinder, so i set to work and started getting it nice and shiny.

before giving it a good coat of white.

We've also been doing some painting inside, getting the hull wall of the end bedroom nicely rust busted and covered with a good coat of hammerite so that we can stick a load of insulation in there, seal it up, and not think about it for several years.

We've also been doing some thinking and experimenting to determine the feasibility of building a built in cupboard into the underhang of the hull wall...

1 comment:

rob said...

old diving cylinders (which you would be given to cut up for nothing) make great bollards as do old pub co2 bottles etc, which can be obtained from most scrap yards.